Miners Track: above Llyn Llydaw


North Wales, April 20-21, 2000

one of the mountain pages on muellerworld

[photos only]

The Drive from London:

I tried to sneak out of London mid-day on Thursday, but about a zillion other Londoners had the same idea, so the three and a half hour drive turned into a five and a half hour marathon between my flat in Kew and Birmingham, 200 miles northwest. The traffic was heaviest nearest London and Birmingham (especially Birmingham!), but not horrible otherwise. The only real bummer were the petrol prices which had been steady on the rise, they sat at about 85 pence per litre ($5.16 per gallon) and my Rover 75 was pretty much a gas hog (primarily because I am a lead foot).

Once past Birmingham, I headed into Wales and towards Llanberis, where I had planned to find someplace to stay. The Welsh countryside seemed to be quite different than the miles of English land that I had just crossed, steep and lush green, and the ubiquitous sheep around every wind in the road. When I was passing through Betws-y-Coed (93 miles from Birmingham), on my way towards Llanberis, a nice little Bed and Breakfast caught my eye and I stopped and checked in. It cost only 15 and would have included a traditional English Breakfast if I had been around at 8am the next morning.


At a few minutes to nine, I walked down the street to find some food. Two women and a young boy were doing the same, and after 2 or 3 rejections each, we teamed up and got turned down at the rest of the restaurants down the line. I wish I could remember the name of the place we ended up at, because it was pretty nice; it had a live band, decent food and good Guiness. We couldn't find a table together, so I went out on the porch and joined up with some climber-looking guys at one of the tables. They had been up the Pyg Route on Snowdon (1085m/3560') that morning and reported great trail conditions, but low-visibility and murdeous winds. Normal.

They were from the Brighton area, and had teamed up every year for a week in the Snowdon area hill walking, climbing and getting rained on. A father and son team seated behind us joined our conversation and we all shared stories of the mountains and drank lots of beers. I tried to be silent getting back into the Bed and Breakfast, but I am sure I failed.


tents at Llyn Teryn not too far from the car park I was up by 6:00am and out shortly thereafter. It was drizzling as I approached Pen-Y-Pass (356m/1168')and saw that the cloud ceiling wasn't much above the car park. The lot was nearly empty, save one other couple who departed just as I got out of my car. Sheep were chewing grass a few meters behind me as I sorted gear and got ready to leave. Across the street there was a large stone building (Pen-Y-Pass Youth Hostal, apparently also called the Idwal Cottage Youth Hostal). I was glad to have arrived relatively early, because I had heard stories of having to park 2 or 3 kilometers down the hill and having to walk up to the car park on days when there were lots of hill walkers and picnicers in the mountains.

[Map of Miner's Track and Pyg Track]

I had originally wanted to make a day-long loop of some of the peaks in the area (Crib Goch, Garnedd Ugain, Snowdon & Y Lliwedd via the Horseshoe Track), but with the weather collapsing and not many people out this morning, I chose to take the Miner's Track (6.4km/4mi, 725m/2381' gain) up the valley towards the summit (the Pyg Track departs from the Miner's Track almost immediately out of the car park). The trail leaves the car park to the south towards the Craig Penlan Cliffs. The first half of the Miner Track is best described as a road: wide, smooth and gradual. It wound around Llyn Taryn (a small lake) not too far into the hike where a group had camped the night before. The site looked pleasant but wet as I passed by. I was continnually amazed by the care and quality of the path I was walking on. The stones were well-fit together and complimented each other, it must have been a monumental project to build the road.

just before the Miner's Causeway at Llyn Llydaw I'm not sure how far back Llyn Llydaw was, but it didn't seem like more than two kilometers. The Miner's Track heads right (north) to cross the lake on the Miner's Causeway, while the Snowdon Horseshoe Track keeps straight (on the south side of Llyd Llydaw) as it heads for Y Lliwedd (898m/2945'). On the north side of the lake, there are old ruins of a huge stone mining building. Shortly thereafter, I caught up with the couple who had left the car park as I was pulling in.

About halfway down the north shore of Llyn Lladaw we started up the steep part just as the rain increased from the misty drizzle to a solid rain. They were attempting to do the "Three Peaks Challenge" on their own over the Easter weekend. Snowdon was their first peak and they were planning on heading up towards Scafell Pike that evening. It was pretty apparent that the guy was fit and very gung-ho about hill walking. His partner was not. She chipped a nail within the first 5 minutes and only stopped talking about it long enough to complain about the rain and having to climb up a waterfall (most of the hill was a waterfall of some sort or another, because, by now, the rain had increased significantly). The path was not apparent, so I followed behind the twosome because the guy had been up Snowdon before, and knew the way (in good visibility, it wouldn't have been a problem to go ahead, but I wasn't sure where I was heading exactly). The map shows a lake called Glaslyn (Blue Lake), but I never saw it, despite walking right past it (I think) in the heavy fog.

on descent looking down to Llyn Llydaw The pace was slow but pleasant, and the guy was pretty interesting, having had climbed and walked in the mountains for most of his life. He told be about some other great walks in the Snowdon area (especially the Glyders and Tryfan on the other side of the road at Pen-Y-Pass), and really made me wish I had more time to spend here to hike around (I had to make it to near Newborough on the Isle of Anglesy that evening). He had also climbed the other two high points in the Three Peaks Challenge, but never all in one weekend, so he was really looking forward to doing it with his girlfriend.

The terrain, while steep, wasn't too bad. Our feet were somewhat soaked with rain and runoff, but the rocks weren't slippery, and the handholds were plentiful when they were needed. Every once in a while a path magically appeared under our feet, only to disappear again within a few steps. Leaning over to protect my face from the heavy rain, my world was reduced to a very small radius, and I really wished I could get a view of the surrounding peaks.

It started to hail, instead.

It was coming down pretty good for a few minutes, but then just as quickly as it came, the hail stopped and we were left with plain old boring rain once again. A series of switchbacks that were partly covered with snow appeared and the couple decided to take a break. I walked past them and shortly came up to Bwlch Glas (Blue Pass) where the wind that had been buffeting us below was a hell of a lot stronger. I took refuge in the lee of "the oblisk" for a minute or two, then walked towards the summit (which was to the south, or to the left after coming up to the col - to the right is the summit of Garnedd Ugain, 1065m/3493'), pausing now and then to try and keep standing against the stronger gusts. This part of the trail follows the rails for the Snowdon Mountain Railway that comes up from Llanberis.

the switchbacks just after it stopped hailing, just before the oblisk at Bwlch Glas the oblisk at Bwlch Glas (Blue Pass) self-portrait on the summit

It had taken about 2 hours to reach the summit, and as I reached the monument, a local trail runner appeared from the southeast (towards Y Lliwedd) and started to run off when I asked him from where he came. He said he was just out for a run around the Horseshoe Track. And then he was gone.

I wandered down to the buildings just below the summit, but they were all closed (I hear that have great soup, though). As I was leaving, the couple appeared and snapped my photo, then the guy told me that maybe they'd just try for Scafell Pike and pass on Ben Nevis this time...

Back at the oblisk, I met up with a couple in their mid-40s and we hid in next to the oblisk again, trying to hear each other and not get blown away in the process. They, too, told me of the magnificent views and the great walks on the other side of the road from the car park. We said good-bye and I followed the Miner's Track back down. There was a little more hail and rain, and soon I met the first of dozens of hikers. Everyone asked how the wind was and how far the summit was, stuff like that. Many different accents and lots of nice people. Back down at the lake, the weather was improving and so were the views (a little). There were a few troops of scouts as well as many families out for a walk on the lower parts of the mountain. My gear was soaked, so I left it on hoping it would dry out as I walked back (it didn't).

At the car park, it was utter chaos. There was an oldish man sort of directing traffic into the car park, and telling most to park down the road a ways (a long ways!). A few cars were circling the car park hoping someone was leaving. There was a couple parked near my car trying to decide who would go park the car and walk back up the hill. I told them that if they waited 3 or 4 minutes, I would be leaving and they could have my front-row spot. Trying to spread out all my gear inside my car was a complete farse, so I just sort of hung my jacket over the passenger seat and piled the rest in back. A quick change of clothes and I was on my way into Llanberis for something to eat (which was an adventure in itsself).

The hike was less than 4 hours round trip, very easy, and despite the weather, it was wonderful. The mountains were beautiful and the people were nice.

Additional Information:

Places to stay:

Three-Peaks Challenge Pages:

Weather and Additional Information:

E-mail me with questions or comments... matt@muellerworld.com submitted: 19 Sept, 2000